Looking for a fun way to celebrate the start of March and the upcoming spring season? Are you getting a little cabin fever and ready to get out for an adventure, no matter the temperature? It’s time, once again, for the annual Polar Bear Tank Races, benefiting the Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway. Tank racing is a staple in the Sandhills and is a popular way to spend the summer, as well as the brave ones who do it in the winter. This unique event is one of the most unique events that take place in the winter months and we’d argue the most fun. This year is the 10th annual Polar Bear Tank Races, meaning it will be bigger and better than ever!
Registration for the tank racing is on a first come, first serve basis, so if you haven’t registered yet, get registered soon to ensure your team can join us on March 3-4. Need some more information? Contact the event organizers:
Mitch Glidden: 888-278-6167 or 308-546-2206
REGISTRATION FEE (Must be 21 to enter)
$195 (non-refundable) PER PERSON
There must be a minimum of four people on a tank racing team
Your registration includes:
- One Racing Tank, plus a life jacket and paddle for each participant
- One Polar Bear Tank Race t-shirt for each participant
- Two nights accommodations (double occupancy) on March 3-4 in Thedford or Mullen
- Welcome Reception & Soup Cook-Off
- Polar Bear Tank Race
- Lunch following the race
- Polar Bear Tank Race Awards Banquet – Prime Rib Dinner
- Team trophies for the top three men’s and women’s teams
Schedule of Events
Friday, March 3
(All Times – Mountain Time)
- 4:00-5:30 p.m. – Registration of teams and welcome reception. You must attend the registration and welcome reception in order to be a qualified tank racing team.
- 5:00 p.m. – Soup Cook-Off. Sample various soups from Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway Communities
Drawings for race departure times will be held immediately following the Soup Cook-Off.
Saturday, March 4
- 8:00 a.m. – Breakfast included at Mullen, at the Consolidated Telephone Building. Meet in Mullen. Transportation will be provided to the launch site on the Middle Loup River from the Consolidated Telephone Building.
- 9:00 a.m. – First bus leaves Consolidated building to launch area – other tanks launched in short intervals according to the tank racing draw order.
A hot lunch will be provided after the race.
Transportation will be provided from the finish line back to the Consolidated Telephone Building.
- 5:00 p.m. – 10th Annual Polar Bear Tank Race Awards Banquet. Location TBD, as we’re hoping there will be a new Mullen Event’s Center.
Getting out of the house and supporting the Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway is a great way to spend a weekend and a unique event to do in the winter to help cure you of cabin fever. Don’t forget your fun team names, matching costumes, and fun props to help get you down the river in a fun and unique way! We can’t wait to see you all for the 10th Annual Polar Bear Tank Races!